How to make money with webcomics, Is it really worth it for an artist?
Before you start reading this entry, I want to remember you that the vast majority of the ways you can make money with comics require you to have an audience.
You MUST have a ton of people actually reading your comic. They have to like it, they have to crave for the next episode, you have to have a good relationship with them, and they have to be willing to support you.
Getting that is definitely no easy task, and it will take a lot of smart work and maybe a small bit of luck.
If you want to make money with webcomics you have to be aware that building an audience takes a lot of time and dedication.
It will probably take you months, even years to build one. In the meantime, you can already start thinking about the different ways you can then promote your comic.
I have more tutorials on my main blog page, check them out! Maybe you will find more useful information! 😀
Check out my main blog page
Most popular ways How to make money with webcomics
LINE Webtoon is a self webcomic publishing portal.
Think of it as the Netflix for reading comics online. It is one of the platforms out there that pay creators to publish their comics online. Based on my own opinion, LINE Webtoon is one of the most popular webcomic apps that can help you to get noticed as a webcomic artist.
How to make money with webcomics with LINE Webtoon:
LINE Webtoon has three ways for getting paid to publish on their website. There are certain thresholds that you have to meet to qualify for the payments.
- How to make money with webcomics using the Ad Revenue Sharing Program
- Creators can earn 50% from advertisements displayed on their comic pages. You have to hit 1000 subscribers, and 40,000 US monthly page views for your comic. (These terms may change by LINE webtoon in the future).
- How to make money with webcomics using the WEBTOON CANVAS Creator Rewards Program
- LINE Webtoon periodically also pays artists on their Canvas platform that meet the following thresholds: $100 for 40,000 page views, $300 for 200,000 page views, $800 for 600,000 page views, and $1000 for 1,500,000 page views.
- How to make money with webcomics with WEBTOON Original Platform
- Webtoon also periodically selects a group of creators that they would like to feature as webtoon Original.
- The featured artists are offered a unique compensation program to reward series that have become serialized within the service, this means that artists get a contract to work with the app.
- These artists are regularly featured within the LINE Webtoon service to further expand their audiences and readership. Sometimes webtoon does activities or contests to pick new series as original.
- Line webtoon has a coin system that allows readers to buy fast passes for locked new chapters, so creators can earn money every time that readers unlock a fast pass.
- I recommend you to keep an eye on webtoon social media to find these events.
Tapas is another platform as webtoon that gives the opportunity to webcomic artists to earn money with their work. Based on my own opinion, you have more chances to start earning money with your comic on tapas with small audience, in difference with webtoon, that you have to reach certain numbers to get paid.
- How to make money with webcomics using tapas ad revenue
- Creators get 70% of the ad-revenue. They have to have at a minimum 100 subscribers to qualify.
- How to make money with webcomics using tapas ink support program
- Tapas has its own in-app coins (Tapas Ink) which makes it easy for creators to earn money in a fun and friendly way.
- Fans can support their favorite creators directly with Tapas Ink, or by unlocking episodes of their Premium series.
- Users can purchase Tapas Ink on the website and apps, or they can earn Ink for free by completing sponsored offers, watching video ads, inviting friends to Tapas, or participating in special events.
- Readers can support creators on Tapas by sending Ink to them directly. For creators, Support can be turned on from their Dashboard once 250 subscribers have been reached for any one of their series. When readers use Ink for Support, roughly 85% goes to creators (after any 3rd party fees) and the remaining 15% helps fund Tapas.
- How to make money with webcomics using tapas Premium Program
- This program gives a select few top-notch creators the opportunity to get paid regularly by Tapas.
- The first few episodes of a comic series are generally free to read, and the rest are unlocked via Tapas Ink.
- The creators receive a 50-50 revenue share, and in return, creators get professional editing and marketing. Tapas’ editors will guide the premium creators through the publishing process and they will also get proofreading and suggestions for each episode.
- A Premium series qualifies for special banners and marketing on the Tapas website and app, helping them expand their audience and directly reach new readers.
I’m not very familiar with this platform but it has a similar revenue program for featured webcomic artists like webtoon and tapas. if you want more information you can read it here.
5. Crowfounding your story
Crowdfunding is a great way of financing projects by raising small amounts of money from a large readership base. It gives you the ability to work on projects that you would otherwise have never considered working on.
The way it works is you propose the project, request a total amount that is required for the project, and then publicize the project as much as possible. The two platforms that webcomic creators usually use are Kickstarter and Indiegogo. When determining your funding goal, make sure to factor in potential delays and unexpected expenses.
6. Get your own website with ads
One way in how to make money with webcomics on your own is launching your own website with ads (like a blogger page, but instead of blogging you post the newest chapters of your webcomic).
Here are some reasons why you should try to create your own webpage for your comic:
- The ad revenue is 100% yours: You don’t have to split your earnings with a host like tapas or webtoon.
- Branding positioning: Having your own page under your own domain will make you look more professional.
- Your readers won’t have other comics that will distract them from your comic: Your visitors will lonely be focused on your content, and won’t be distracted by other creators trying to grab their attention.
Of course, maintaining your own website will need extra effort to drive traffic on it. I won’t recommend you to open your own website for your webcomic if you don’t have a huge audience on social media or have a solid marketing plan to promote your site first.
7. Subscriptions or donations
One way in how to make money with webcomics is that you basically ask your readers to fund your webcomic, or any other projects related to your comic, with small regular payments or tips.
The benefits of a subscription model include receiving payments at regular intervals and the ability to develop a direct relationship with your readers.
Various platforms can give you the ability to set up a subscription service for your webcomic:
Giving your readers the ability to donate to you on your website is another way you can earn income from your comic. Several payment gateways give you the ability to add a “Donation Button” to your website in a matter of minutes.
And I’m sure that there are more ways to get donations out there, you should look at which one works better for you.
Remember that each artist has his own path in this business, for some people line webtoon works, and for others is better tapas. The only way you will know which one works better for you is simply trying until you find your own path.
If you start publishing your webtoon I recommend you at the beginning to focus on promote your comic rather than try to publish a new chapter monthly or weekly.
Don`t be discouraged if you don’t see money at the beginning, this way of making money most of the time takes time of months or even years!
Just remember to work smarter and not harder and you gonna see good results in your work soon! 😀
Do you have other ways in how to make money with webcomics?
Share it with us!! let’s grow the industry together, if we help each other we can build a community of webcomic creators that can earn money with their art!!
My best wishes to you, I know you can do it!
See you! 😀
Meet my webcomic Among Men
Subscribe to my newsletter!
And get the newest tutorial on your email every time I upload my blog! 😀